How to Make Banana Leche Flan
- 1 can (15 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14oz) condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of cinnamon powder
- pinch of salt
- calamansi peels, from 5 pcs calamansi
- 3 molds (llanera) with 2 tbsp brown sugar dissolved in 2 tbsp water each
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Transfer egg yolks to a mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks.
- Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk, cinnamon powder, vanilla extract, salt, and calamansi peels. Mix well. (Calamansi peels were added to remove the stench from the egg yolks and to give the leche flan with a bit of citrusy flavor.)
- Before proceeding to the next step, filter out the calamansi peels using a strainer.
- Add the mashed banana. Mix well then set aside.
- In low fire, heat the mold (llanera) with sugar and water mixture until it boils and thickens.
- Gently pour the leche flan mixture on top of the caramelized sugar in each mold.
- Cover each mold with aluminum foil then arrange properly in the steamer.
- Steam for about 30 minutes. You can tell that it is cooked when you insert a toothpick then it comes out clean.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Enjoy your banana leche flan!
source: panlasang pinoy