Puto Pao Recipe
Puto Pao Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour 1½ Tbsp baking powder ½ cup white sugar ¾ cup water ½ cup milk (I used fresh milk) 4 egg whites ½ tsp cream of tartar ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ Tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup milk (I used fresh milk)
- 4 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- For the filling
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 3 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- ¼ tsp blackpepper
- 3 hardboiled eggs, sliced into ⅛’s
- For topping
- Cheese (I use Eden Cheese)
- In a bowl, sift and mix flour, baking powder and ½ cup sugar. Add water and milk and mix until well combined and free of lumps.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually until stiff peaks form, and then fold into the batter.
- For Pork Asado filling
- Heat up olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute the garlic and onions until the onion is almost translucent.
- Add the pork and stir-fry until light brown. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and sugar then mix well. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Add the cornstarch and mix until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool down. Remove excess oil.
- To make the Puto Pao
- Prepare the steamer by filling it halfway with water and then add 1 Tbsp vinegar. (This will prevent the puto pao from turning yellowish.) Start heating up the steamer. Slightly grease puto molds.
- Fill puto molds halfway with batter. Top each with about 1 Tbsp Pork Asado filling and 1 slice of egg. (For the small molds, I only used about half tablespoon filling). Add some more batter to each puto mold to cover the filling.
- Arrange in steamer and steam for 15 minutes. Place cheesecloth in between each pan to avoid water drips. Remove steamer from heat and top puto pao with cheese. Steam for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool down. Remove from mold before serving.